The International Ice Hockey Federation is launching an inquiry to “obtain additional information” about sexual assault allegations involving Hockey Canada and how the national organization has addressed them, the world governing body announced Friday.
Hockey Canada was previously named in a lawsuit that alleged eight players, including some members of Canada’s World Junior team, sexually assaulted a young woman in 2018. The alleged assault occurred in a London, Ont., hotel room in June 2018 following a Hockey Canada Foundation event.
The lawsuit, which was resolved via a settlement agreement between Hockey Canada and the woman who made the allegations, was filed in April and became public in May.
“The IIHF was informed by Hockey Canada about this settlement in May 2022 and has launched an inquiry to obtain additional information concerning the cases and Hockey Canada’s actions to address them,” the IIHF said in a statement. “These are deeply troubling incidents that the IIHF takes extremely seriously.”
Authorities in London have reopened an investigation related to the 2018 allegations. Last week, Chief Steve Williams said a sexual assault investigation began in June 2018, and eight months later, it was concluded with no criminal charges laid. Hockey Canada said earlier this month it was reopening a third-party investigation into how the incident was handled.
New allegations of a group sexual assault in Halifax involving members of the 2003 Canadian World Junior Team surfaced last week. Halifax police have opened an investigation into the claims.
Earlier this week during parliamentary hearings in Ottawa, multiple MPs called for Hockey Canada executives to resign. MP Kevin Waugh asserted to current Hockey Canada president and CEO Scott Smith that “Canadians have lost trust.”
The IIHF said it will “monitor Hockey Canada’s actions, including the reopened investigation, to ensure that it is acting in accordance with the IIHF Abuse and Harassment Code.”
(Photo: Jerome Miron / USA Today)