Minnetrista Police said they are confident Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen is alone inside his home and safe after responding to a 911 call from his residence at about 3 a.m. Wednesday.
Griffen said on the call that someone was inside his home and that he needed help, according to police, who also said Griffen told the 911 dispatcher he had fired a weapon but that no one was hurt. Griffen posted on Instagram a video, which was later deleted, of himself holding a gun, saying people were trying to kill him and that he had purchased the gun and bullets legally.
He also posted screenshots on his Instagram account of text messages, sent to his agent Brian Murphy, asking for help, telling Murphy to call 911 and saying, “People are trying to kill me.”
Upon arrival, law enforcement officials said they did not find an intruder in the home. Law enforcement officials and Minnesota Vikings team psychologists have been in ongoing communication with Griffen, who is refusing to come out of the residence, according to police.
“At this time, law enforcement officers are confident Griffen is alone inside the home and continue to work with him to resolve the situation,” Minnetrista police said in a statement.
Coach Mike Zimmer said at a news conference that he spoke to the players earlier in the day. Zimmer said he learned of the situation early Wednesday and deferred questions to general manager Rick Spielman, who will address the situation later Wednesday.
The team issued the following statement:
“Vikings representatives and the team’s mental health professionals have been on-site at Everson Griffen’s home since early this morning and are cooperating with law enforcement. Our only concern at this time is the safety and well-being of Everson and his family. We will have further comment at the appropriate time.”
Griffen mentioned running back Dalvin Cook in a video on social media saying Cook helped Griffen purchase a gun. Cook said he didn’t know why he was mentioned in the video.
Cook said he reached out to Griffen earlier Wednesday once the news broke about the situation.
“I shot him a couple text messages, called him a couple times, but there was a lot going on around him,” Cook said. “Just trying to make sure he’s OK.”
Cook said Griffen didn’t respond to his calls or text messages.
Griffen, 33, is a Vikings veteran and four-time Pro Bowler. In September 2018, he was taken by ambulance to a hospital after two incidents prompted police involvement. During those incidents, Griffen threatened violence at the Hotel Ivy in downtown Minneapolis and made comments about people trying to kill him.
He spent four weeks undergoing mental health treatment before returning to the Vikings that season. He later revealed he lived in a sober house for the final three months of the 2018 season. He played 17 of the team’s 18 regular-season and playoff games in 2019.
This summer, the Vikings brought Griffen back on a non-guaranteed veteran minimum salary contract after a tryout during training camp. The deal came after a conversation with Zimmer, who told reporters on Aug. 23, “It seems like he’s in a good place. Hopefully he can continue to do that, and if he does he can help us.”
(Photo: Katelyn Mulcahy / Getty Images)